Friday, March 11, 2011

Thoughts on Prayer

RESTING IN THE FAVOR OF FATHER
Well, this is my initial outing into the blogasphere so here goes nothing!  The children's church lesson this week is on the Lord's Prayer.  As I read and meditated on Matthew 6:5-15 I was struck by a few things.  Number one I became aware in a new way that prayer really isn't about getting our needs met but about building relationship.  So little of the Lord's prayer is about the "stuff" with which we seem so preoccupied most of the time.  "Your Father knows what you need before you ask him." (Matthew 6:8)  To me that reminder in combination with the powerful opening of the prayer, "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be your name," is the Lord reminding us one more time that we really do walk in favor.  He is our Father and in my family the Father did provide and protect. (My dad has been on my mind a lot this week.  He would have been 83 on Monday.) These verses also reminded me of how much I need to be caught up in the majesty of God, to encounter Him in His holiness so that I can do His will.

So during Lent I am going to be preoccupied with Jesus.  Then I think I will be like the baby in this photo, just resting in Daddy's arms, knowing that I have favor.

Love,
KIM

No comments:

Post a Comment